[Smt-talk] Classical Form and Recursion

Ildar Khannanov solfeggio7 at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 30 11:12:55 PDT 2009

Dear Brian,

I admire your interest in phenomenology. However, this seems to be a much more complicated field than we can presently handle. Your attempts to "reduce" my suggestions to the literary references known to you can be, indeed, understood as a case of intentionality.

Few points to demomstrate this:

1) Your quote from Scruton indicate that you both missed one important problem:
What we understand, in understanding music, is not the material world, but the intentional object: the organization that can be heard in the experience (Scruton, The Aesthetics of Music, 221)
This is exactly the mistake which Roman Ingarden made and that caused him the relationship with Husserl. Music is not an intentional object.
2) Your presentation on intersubjectivity as an earlier topic and "reduction" as the later does not make any sense.

As a result, it happened so that both Husserl and Merleau-Ponty do not belong in this discussion, while Dr. Lewin has become the only phenomenologist worthy of discussion. This is quite strange.

Best,

Ildar Khannanov
Peabody Conservatory
solfeggio7 at yahoo.com