[Smt-talk] Robert Fludd

Christoph Hust christoph.hust at gmx.de
Sun May 17 02:21:15 PDT 2009

Dear colleagues,

Is there anybody out there who would happen to know more about one
part of the "Templum musicae" diagram in Robert Fludd's "Utriusque
cosmi maioris scilicet et minoris ... historia"?  I mean the large
checkerboard structure in the lower left quarter below the person
pointing at some musical score (there is a digital version of the
whole diagram online at http://www.soundpossibilities.org/html/temple_of_music.html)
.  Fludd's book dates from 1617--has anybody perhaps encountered an
earlier diagram showing these black and white boxes?  (I do not refer
to the contents of this part on intervals, but only to Fludd's way of
graphic presentation.)  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated;
I guess private replies to christoph.hust at gmx.de would be best.

Best wishes,
Christoph Hust

--