[Smt-talk] Altered pitch, preserved contour

Richard Lewis richardlewis at fastmail.co.uk
Wed May 20 03:23:24 PDT 2009

Can anyone think if there's an accepted term to describe the
phenomenon where some musical material is stretched in pitch (making
the intervals bigger but preserving the contour). The first thing that
comes to mind is 'augmentation', but this is usually only applied to
rhythmic alteration.

I suspect that, as this phenomenon is not common in the Western canon,
it may have escaped categorisation by the early C20th arbiters of
music theory. Though I'd be happy to be proved wrong.

Best wishes,
Richard Lewis
ISMS, Computing
Goldsmiths, University of London
Tel: +44 (0)20 7078 5134
Skype: richardjlewis
JID: ironchicken at jabber.earth.li
|Please avoid sending me Word or PowerPoint attachments.|
|http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html |

More information about the Smt-talk mailing list