[Smt-talk] Altered pitch, preserved contour

Locke, Ralph rlocke at esm.rochester.edu
Wed May 20 06:53:26 PDT 2009

Offhand, I'd say that the phenomenon is so common that it goes largely unnoticed (or at least unnamed).  In sonata-form movements, for example, a normal part of "motivische Arbeit" is to preserve the rhythm and contour of a motive but alter the size of its intervals, in conformity with the prevailing harmonic action.  And, in fugal theory, one does have a standard name for one such standard alteration: tonal answer (vs. real answer).

Maybe I haven't understood your point.

Ralph Locke

Ralph P. Locke
Professor of Musicology