[Smt-talk] Altered pitch, preserved contour

Nigel Morgan n.morgan at netmatters.co.uk
Wed May 20 06:55:21 PDT 2009

Dear Richard,

Although I have not seen the phenomenon described that frequently in
contemporary analysis I use this device (which I have always referred to as
a scaling procedure) frequently in my own music. I have also observed it in
the music of my contemporaries - notably Magnus Lindberg.

As a co-developer of the Symbolic Composer software we created a function
called symbol-scale which enables rescaling of pitch material by percentage
or between give pitch parameters. This function has present within the
specification since 1992. This function features regularly (as an
I-function) in the scores of my Six Concertos, the background of which is
documented is some detail here:

http://www.nigel-morgan.co.uk/SixConcertos/

For an instance you can examine in a single work, download the SCOM code
annotation for the score 'After Hindemith' for piano trio.

http://tiny.cc/4ysUB

I hope this helps.

Nigel Morgan

Visiting Research Fellow