[Smt-talk] Altered pitch, preserved contour

Dave Headlam dheadlam at esm.rochester.edu
Wed May 20 07:01:18 PDT 2009

Richard:  take a look at Bartok's discussion of the expansion of intervals
in the theme of the Music for Strings, Percussion, Celeste, which moves from
a chromatic context of a filled in P5 to an "acoustic scale" context in the
final movement:  from A-E to C-C

A-Bb-B-C-C#-D-D#-E
C-D-E-F#-G-A-Bb-C

A-Bb-C#-C etc.
C-D-G-F#  etc.

Bartok described it (Harvard Lectures) as "interval expansion" I believe.

Dave Headlam

--

 Dave Headlam
 Professor of Music Theory