[Smt-talk] Early Tritone Sub

Dmitri Tymoczko dmitri at Princeton.EDU
Thu May 28 06:00:36 PDT 2009

I received this very helpful email from George Ferencz, whose message
bounced when he tried to post it.

The one thing I'll add is that it's sometimes necessary to check the
original sheet music.  When we explored this issue on the smt-jz
list, we found one case -- “Baby, Won’t You Please Come
Home” (Warfield & Williams, 1919) -- where it seemed possible that
the original 1919 sheet music contained no tritone sub, while a later
version of the sheet music added it in.

Here's George's post:

==========================

Great Question....I've thought about this often over the years; what
I don't know as well as DT and many of you is good examples of "going
back to Schubert" classical examples (can someone suggest a few I can
offer up to curious students?). As to the pop/vernacular instances:

A few that strike me (not so early, alas) are one or two Irving
Berlin numbers for "Annie Get Your Gun" (1946); he always had his ear
out for new-ish harmonic angles, and (one or more of his ballads for
this show use this-and at the final cadence, to boot: "I Got Lost
(But Look What I Found)," "They Say That Falling in Love is
Wonderful," etc. My vocal score is at the office, so I can't peek at
it just now.

There's a Frank Loesser movie song from about 1945, "I Wish I Didn't
Love You So," which uses it at the end of the release (bringing back
the "A" strain, that starts on a tonic chord), and perhaps also at
the end of the tune. I think he sneaks the tritone-sub sound into
"Guys and Dolls" (1950), but by then it's a commonplace.

Pulling out the songbooks now, and looking at earlier things DT asked
about:

George Gershwin's "Dancing Shoes" (1921, Eb) has this progression,