[Smt-talk] Early Tritone Sub

Walt Everett weverett at umich.edu
Thu May 28 08:16:25 PDT 2009

On May 28, 2009, at 9:00 AM, Dmitri Tymoczko wrote:
> [. . .]
>
> Here's George's post:
>
> ==========================.
>
> There's a Frank Loesser movie song from about 1945 . . . . . I think
> he sneaks the tritone-sub sound into "Guys and Dolls" (1950), but by
> then it's a commonplace.

"Luck Be a Lady Tonight" is built over a rumbling alternation of I and
bII that I think carries on over a ^1 pedal (or maybe the pedal
sustains in upper voices).  I hear neighbors in a modal context, but
how many would hear this as necessarily a V sub?  (There may be others
in the show; this example comes to mind first--my 13-yr-old was just
Nicely Nicely Johnson for two perfs--boy, was that fun!)

Walter Everett
Professor of Music
Chair, Department of Theory
The University of Michigan School of Music, Theatre & Dance
1100 Baits Dr.
Ann Arbor, MI  48109-2085

weverett at umich.edu
voice: 734-763-2039