[Smt-talk] Paul Simon

Adam Krims Adam.Krims at nottingham.ac.uk
Wed Nov 4 09:26:44 PST 2009

Walt Everett's essay from _Understanding Rock_ (Covach and Boone, OUP, 1998), "Swallowed by a Song: Paul Simon's Crisis of Chromaticism" would be one place to start. Also, depending on how you want to define "theoretical" (i.e., whether you like my attempt to re-define it ;), you could check out Louise Meintjes's "Paul Simon's Graceland, South Africa, and the Mediation of Musical Meaning", Ethnomusicology 34.1 (1990).

Adam Krims
Professor of Music Analysis
University of Nottingham