[Smt-talk] Learning Differences in Aural Skills

Laurel Parsons laureljparsons at gmail.com
Tue Nov 17 06:22:28 PST 2009

Dear Loretta,

I tutor a dyslexic university opera student in aural skills and
unfortunately there is almost no scholarly literature on music reading for
dyslexics (at least adults).  There is, however, one important initial study
that I am aware of:

Hebert, Sylvie, Renee Beland, Christine Beckett, Lola Cuddy, Isabelle Peretz
and Joan Wolforth.  "A Case Study of Music and Text Dyslexia."  *Music
Perception* 25/4 (2008): 369-81.

Sylvie is continuing her research in this subject at the Universite de
Montreal so you might want to contact her.

Another scholar with interest in music and dyslexia is Katie Overy at the
University of Edinburgh.

If you are working with a dyslexic student and want to compare notes, feel
free to contact me privately at laurel.parsons at questu.ca.

Good luck,
Laurel

Laurel Parsons, Ph.D.