[Smt-talk] The Prog-rock Symphony?

Walt Everett weverett at umich.edu
Sat Nov 21 06:49:29 PST 2009

On Nov 18, 2009, at 6:09 PM, Dmitri Tymoczko wrote:

> I'm wondering if anyone can help me come up with examples of what I
> think of as the "Prog-rock Symphony" -- album-length, through-
> composed instrumental pieces suggesting some sort of classical
> influence, however vague.

I wonder if Sigur Rós would qualify?  Their vocalists supposedly draw
from nonsense syllables based on their native Icelandic, and the
vowels are long-sustained, so the effect is quite instrumental.  The
music, tending to slow-moving tracks of 7-13 minutes in length,
reminds me of Brian Eno's ambient effects put to drums-and-bass
ostinati, with some resemblance to recent Radiohead.  A symphonic
scope is suggested by the multiple synths and guitars in a thick,
reverb-soaked texture that occasionally supports ensemble climaxes.

Walter Everett
Professor of Music
Chair, Department of Theory
The University of Michigan School of Music, Theatre & Dance
1100 Baits Dr.
Ann Arbor, MI  48109-2085

weverett at umich.edu
voice: 734-763-2039