[Smt-talk] (no subject)

Greg Karl curugroth at verizon.net
Fri Oct 2 18:45:18 PDT 2009

On Oct 2, 2009, at 2:35 PM, MICHAEL MORSE wrote:

>  The problem with major=happy/minor=sad is not that it is difficult
> to refute empirically (or through examples), but that it is
> impossible to establish. The notion that affectivity in music is in
> any sense reducible to such a simplistic binary pair of concepts is
> grotesque and, if you please, hydrophobically anti-intellectual.
> Even if we agree that music is often affectively causal--and that
> is a fairly substantial "if"--there is no guarantee whatsoever that
> any combination of words, much less adjectives, can encapsulate or
> formulate the affective results of the listening experience.

I have another view of this issue. Composers have always found great
utility in musical resources capable of dramatizing psychological,
affective, spatial, cosmological and myriad other species of binary
oppositions. Major/minor, fast/slow, high/low, disjunct/conjunct--in
short, any salient perceptual contrast that is readily registered by
listeners and which can be mapped onto textual oppositions, was
inevitably called into service by composers setting texts of
madrigals, art songs, arias, etc. Romantic instrumental music
dramatizing aspects of internal life naturally latched onto these
same kinds of oppositions. I agree "the notion that affectivity in
music is in any sense reducible to such a simplistic binary pair of
concepts is grotesque and, if you please, hydrophobically anti-
intellectual," but I doubt that is what Christopher Buchenholz, for
example, was attempting to do. Presumably, identifying which end of
an affective continuum a particular passage's expressive qualities
tend toward would just be a starting point in an interpretation of
content in a given work. I think there is validity in the idea that
certain broad categories of affective states tend overwhelmingly to
be mapped onto either the minor or the major mode respectively, and
that the business composers have traditionally attempted to transact
depends on audiences being aware of such broad conventions of
interpretation. Perhaps that is what Buchenholz was driving at?

Gregory Karl
New York, NY
curugroth at verizon.net