[Smt-talk] McGamut query

David K Feurzeig mozojo at gmail.com
Tue Oct 6 08:37:14 PDT 2009

Just a quick take on the security/integrity question.

While I have no reason to doubt the robustness of MacG's encryption,
there is ALWAYS a way to cheat: encryption can't prevent a students
from working on each others' .mgs files.

But a balanced course design renders the integrity issue nearly moot.
Over the years, I have incorporated MacG in a variety of ways, from a
purely extracurricular aid to level targets that are counted in the
course grade. However, I never weight the MacG portion of the grade
more than 20%, and any skill that MacG builds is also tested via in-
class dictations.

Frequent dictation quizzes provide a reality check for instructors and
a disincentive for students to cheat. Any sizable discrepancy between
a student's stats and his or her performance on quizzes prompts a
meeting, which can reveal all sorts of interesting issues--by no means
limited to cheating: also involved are perception issues (samples vs.
live sounds) and test-taking skills.

David Feurzeig
University of Vermont