[Smt-talk] accellerandi-pieces

Olli Väisälä ovaisala at siba.fi
Mon Oct 12 10:07:19 PDT 2009

The most magnificent example that comes to my mind is Sibelius's Fifth
Symphony, first movement, from about half-way to the end. The movement
also consists interesting small-scale written-out accelerandi (between
D and F, and between J and K in the score). Sibelius's Seventh Symphony
also has a similar large-scale process (between G and L).

Another interesting example that pops into mind is the finale in
Lutoslawski's Livre, which culminates in a passage in which a
percussion attack (frusta, I think) articulates textural passages of
decreasing length. Gradually these attacks become closer to the center
of attention and articulate a series of chords that further
accelerates.

Olli Väisälä
Sibelius Academy
ovaisala at siba.fi