[Smt-talk] Psychological Studies of Film Music

Laurel Parsons laureljparsons at gmail.com
Thu Oct 22 08:55:17 PDT 2009

Dear Brent,
She should check out the work of Annabel J. Cohen, Marilyn Boltz, and Scott
Lipscomb.  Here are some other suggestions:

Bullerjahn, Claudia and Martin Guldenring.  "An Empirical Investigation of
Effects of Film Music Using Qualitative Content Analysis." *Psychomusicology
* 13 (Spring/Fall, 1994): 99-118.

Ellis, Robert J. and Robert F. Simons.  "The Impact of Music on Subjective
and Physiological Indices of Emotion  While Viewing Films."  *
Psychomusicology* 19/1 (2005): 15-40.

Tan, Siu-Lan, Matthew P. Spackman, and Matthew A. Bezdek.  "Viewers'
Interpretations of Film Characters' Emotions: Effects of Presenting Film
Music Before or After a Character is Shown."  *Music Perception* 25/2
(2007): 135-52.

All of the above are available online through IIMP.

Best,

Laurel Parsons

***
Laurel Parsons, Ph.D.