[Smt-talk] Chinese music theory

Lai, Eric C. Eric_Lai at baylor.edu
Fri Sep 18 17:45:54 PDT 2009

For mainland China, as far as I know, there is no periodical that deals exclusively with music theory.  However, for current research in music theory on both Western and non-Western music, I'd check out the journals affiliated with the Central Conservatory of Music (Beijing), Shanghai Conservatory of Music, and China Conservatory of Music (Beijing) (the last one publishes mainly articles on traditional Chinese music).  All three journals contain articles that cover a variety of disciplines including theory, history, aesthetics, ethnomusicology, music education, etc.  All have TOC in English, and one even includes abstracts in English.  They do publish Chinese translations of contributions originally written in other languages.  Below are links to the Chinese pages of the journals and their emails.  Unfortunately, the English-version pages are either blank or under construction.

Zhongyang yinyue xueyuan xuebao [Journal of the Central Conservatory of Music]
http://journal.ccom.edu.cn/
xbbjb at ccom.edu.cn

Yinyue yishu [Art of Music], journal of the Shanghai Conservatory of Music
http://www.shcmusic.edu.cn/html/yuanbao/
musicart2000 at 163.com

Zhongguo yinyue [Chinese Music], journal of the China Conservatory of Music
http://www.ccmusic.edu.cn/default.html (homepage of the conservatory)
bianjibu7378 at 163.com

Hope this helps.  Perhaps others can provide info about music/music theory journals in Taiwan, Hong Kong, etc.

Eric Lai
Baylor University