[Smt-talk] Chinese music theory

Jeffrey Perry jperry at lsu.edu
Fri Sep 18 19:56:08 PDT 2009

Eric--
    Thank you for the information. It has seemed to me for several years
that North American and European music scholars should find ways to
communicate on a two-way basis with Asian music scholars, even if
(especially if) what the latter are up to doesn't fit Euro-American notions
of what music theory and analysis should encompass.
    For most of us in the West, unfortunately, this will require translation
of articles, colloquia, and reviews from Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Hindi,
etc. The other half of the exchange would require redoubled efforts to make
recent western-language work accessible in those languages; it's great to
hear that a few recent textbooks, at least, are indeed available in
Mandarin. But it would be more interesting to get feedback and original work
from Chinese and other Asian musicians and scholars that draws on recent
analytical and theoretical work beyond the level of undergraduate textbooks.
    I floated this idea at an SMT committee meeting a few years ago and it
was roundly welcomed as a commendable thing, but the people in the room at
the time (including myself) didn't have any clear sense of how to proceed.
Perhaps some day...
Best,
jp
Jeff Perry
Professor of Music Theory
275 Music and Dramatic Arts
School of Music, College of Music & Dramatic Arts
Louisiana State University
jperry at lsu.edu / (225) 578-3556 (voice) / (225) 578-3333 (fax)