[Smt-talk] Twitter

kos at panix.com kos at panix.com
Wed Sep 23 19:27:26 PDT 2009

Recently an announcement was made on the email list of the American
Musicological Society that people were going to start using the hashtag
#musicology on Twitter, as a means of identifying tweets of interest.

Slowly there appears to be a number of people who are taking up this call and
are beginning to post about things musicological, or at least, musical.  I
wouldn't call it terribly profound, but I feel that just the idea of being able
to communicate with others is very important.

I use Twitter and find it particularly wonderful at conferences when many others
are sharing information from their respective sessions.

Might it be time to start a hashtag for music theory?  Perhaps #mustheory or
something appropriate, and understandable by many whose first language may not
be English.

I don't doubt that this will be a challenge:  In my role as librarian in a
public library, I find those academically involved with musicology or music
theory to be among the most closed people I encounter.  They are very reluctant
to share anything, presumably out of fear of ideas being stolen.  This is
unfortunate, since the trend in so many humanities appears to be one of sharing
knowledge and information, of collaboration and teamwork.

Looking forward to any ideas.

www.twitter.com/kos2

     blog:  http://www.nypl.org/blog/21
   Listowner: OPERA-L ; SMT-TALK ; SMT-ANNOUNCE ; SoundForge-users