[Smt-talk] I - II- IV as a progression: classical precedents

Dmitri Tymoczko dmitri at Princeton.EDU
Thu Sep 3 16:48:38 PDT 2009

On Sep 2, 2009, at 3:14 PM, Richard Porterfield wrote:

> You ask about classical precedents for the progression I-II-IV-I
> characteristic of 1960s rock. Although Roman numerals provide a
> useful shorthand here, in the end what you’re describing are not
> harmonic functions but motions of counterpoint.

Just a brief comment about the implication that we can confidently
assert that particular chords are "not harmonic functions but motions
of counterpoint."  There's a (by now old-fashioned) view chords are
either purely contrapuntal or purely harmonic -- some have even
suggested we can go through musical scores and make a clean
distinction between "genuine harmonies" and "merely contrapuntal"
chords.

This seems to me to represent a drastic simplification of a much more
interesting situation.

It seems to me that music is almost always operating on both the
harmonic and contrapuntal levels.  The guitar-based chords in the
Beatles and Donovan might seem "purely harmonic" but there's some
counterpoint in there -- such as the 5-#4-4-3 line that we've been
discussing.  The music of Byrd might seem fundamentally contrapuntal,
but there's very good reason to think that triads played a genuinely
harmonic role.  That we can find similarities between these styles,
separated by hundreds of years, is an amazing fact, testimony to the
power of some very widespread and basic techniques of musical
organization.

I would just urge everyone to try to remain open to the marvelous two-
dimensional coherence of Western music, which so often makes sense
both vertically (or harmonically) and horizontally (or melodically).

DT

PS. I also think we should reject the idea that RN analysis only makes
sense in the context of traditionally tonal music.  All that is
required is that (1) the music has a tonal center; (2) it uses tertian
harmonies; and (3) it repeatedly uses recurring harmonic patterns.  In
a mixolydian mode rock piece I can say "this piece uses the I-VII-IV-I
progression."  Or even: "I-VII-IV-I is a cliche of rock mixolydian
harmony."  There need be no implication about V or about tonal
functionality or about anything of the sort.  The point of RN analysis
is to give us a language for discussing chord progressions that is
invariant under transposition.

PPS. I don't mean to pick on Richard here, whose posts I admire, and
who did great work in digging up the progression in Byrd.

Dmitri Tymoczko
Associate Professor of Music
310 Woolworth Center
Princeton, NJ 08544-1007
(609) 258-4255 (ph), (609) 258-6793 (fax)
http://music.princeton.edu/~dmitri