[Smt-talk] I - II- IV as a progression

Richard Hermann harhar at unm.edu
Fri Sep 4 08:08:25 PDT 2009

Dear Smt-Listerians,

Harmony as practiced in many sophisticated pieces in whole or at
least in significant part is so much more complex than any harmonic
theory I have read (German, French, Russian, English, Italian if you
count fig bass). It is so much so that I have come to believe that
harmonic theories tend to describe and to an extent formalize
counterpoint's cliches. Whether or not we take all that Schenker has
given us at face value (or try to extend in ways and into repertoires
that appear to be contradictory to his thought), we still need
counterpoint and harmonic interpretation at the risk of being
constrained to cliches and their formalizations. Kirnberger pointed
to a fruitful path. Neither counterpoint nor harmony appear to me to
be monolithic when applied to various repertoires of interest. It
seems better to add more well thought out tools to the toolbox and
think about how, when, and which tools to use.

Best,

Richard Hermann, Prof. of Music
University of New Mexico