[Smt-talk] I - II- IV as a progression (counterpoint)

rschultz at music.umass.edu rschultz at music.umass.edu
Sun Sep 13 14:15:17 PDT 2009

Following Nicole back to the original topic, the second half of the verse to
Billy Joel's "Scandinavian Skies" (starting with "we climbed towards the
sun...") also contains the progression in question, though here it is with
respect to a tonicized IV, i.e. Bb-C-Eb-Bb in F. Of course, the minor
pentatonic implications a la Midnight Hour/Proud Mary are clear (indeed, the
subsequent return to tonic passes through Ab, not A), but the tonicization
is strong enough that I distinctly hear I-II-IV-I of IV rather than
IV-V-bVII-IV.
Here's the cut off the album, minus most of the intro:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjNzpy667zY&feature=fvw

And a live version with the intro fully intact (starts at 1:05):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQZjjTI2pUg

Best Wishes,
Rob

Rob Schultz, Ph.D.