[Smt-talk] I - II- IV as a progression (counterpoint)

Murphy, Scott Brandon smurphy at ku.edu
Tue Sep 22 19:10:54 PDT 2009

Yesterday evening, my two kids were trying on a Superman costume (older one
with cape and belt, younger one with the tights), and I wanted to provide
some appropriate music for the inevitable flying around the living room, so
I sat down at the piano and plunked my way through the 1978 film¹s main
title music. And, sure enough, when I got to the ³Can You Read My Mind?²
middle section, there was the SMT-list¹s I-II#-IV progression underlying the
opening of the melody, taking a list-thread that I thought was pretty well
tied off and brightly dyeing it red, blue, and yellow.  (Like Nicole¹s ³A
Kind of Magic,² this music straddles pop and film-music genres.)

Earlier posts in this thread proposed various rationales for the
progression. Here¹s another from a film-music perspective: having another
chord besides V follow I-#II not only demotes #II from a more ³Classical²
role of V/V, but also promotes I-#II as a brief but clear token of the
³Lydian² sound that plays an important role in many popular film scores.
This especially (but not exclusively) includes the beginnings of many heroic
themes by Williams: I-#II-vi... (Jurassic Park, ³Journey to the Island²),
I-#II-VII#... and I-#II-iv... (Star Wars I, ³Anakin¹s Theme²), I-#II-I
(E.T., ³The Departure,² (and others)). Having said that, I-#II-V can still
intimate film music¹s ³Lydian code,² as in the primary theme for Alan
Silvestri¹s music for Back to the Future, which has it both ways:
I-#II-I-V/V-V-.... (I recall someone (but I can¹t recall who) remarking to
me years ago that the beginning of the transition in the last movement of
Beethoven 5 (or whatever you want to call the spot when F#s first appear)
³sounds like film music.²)

Scott

--
Scott Murphy