[Smt-talk] I - II- IV as a progression (counterpoint)

Brad Osborn webpine brad06 at u.washington.edu
Sun Sep 27 14:46:22 PDT 2009

Dear list,

Of course, voice-leading connections in rock music can be a fruitful avenue
for discussion, but reading this thread in relation to some recent music has
reminded of the "Melodic-Harmonic Divorce" in rock music (as discussed by
Temperley).  It seems that, in some cases, the rhythm section may simply
supplant II# where ii would work just fine, as evidenced by a completely
diatonic melody in the voice.

Case in point: In Katy Perry's recent single "Thinking of You,"  the chorus
progression is (in E): I-II#-IV-V.  In both predominant chords, Perry sings
the same basic *do-re-mi* tag on the song's title, thus, the two chords are
more or less interchangeable, functionally speaking, while differing
substantially in color.  However, at the end of verse 1 she does inflect the
more conventional IV-iv coloration by singing the flat-6 scale degree.

It is interesting that there is not sort of vocal play on the part of Perry
with the #4 coloring, but we do find her using b6.  I just wonder if the
former would make it too raucous for pop consumption, while the latter has
become some sort of bluesy-pop staple?  If you care to listen, the link to
the official video is below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxfxDycUVnE  (1st chorus starts at 0:55, next
at 2:10)

best regards,
Brad

Brad Osborn
Ph.D. Candidate, Music Theory
University of Washington School of Music
Brad06 at u.washington.edu

Subscriptions Manager
Perspectives of New Music
pnmsubs at u.washington.edu