[Smt-talk] I - II- IV as a progression (counterpoint)

Nicole Biamonte nbiamonte at aya.yale.edu
Sun Sep 27 13:26:43 PDT 2009

Isn't the very beginning of the "Simpsons" theme over a tonic pedal, like
the other examples you've mentioned?  I had never noticed the connections
between this theme and WSS--thanks for pointing that out!  I've
always thought of the "Simpsons" theme as inspired by the "Jetsons" theme,
not just because of the melodic similarities (1-3-#4-5 in the "Jetsons"
theme) but also the sequential semitonal key relationships and bass lines:
in the "Jetsons" theme, the 1-5 bass ascends chromatically, while in the
"Simpsons" theme, the 1-b5 bass descends chromatically.

Regarding cadences on II: a smaller-scale example is the Grateful Dead's
gospel-inflected encore, "Brokedown Palace."  The verse and refrain both
conclude with circular forms of the progression that started this thread, I
- II# - IV - I.   The progression in the first half of the refrain is I -
III# - IV - I - II#.  As in Walt's Vogues and BS&T examples, the major II
chord occupies the normal position of a dominant.  I hear it as functioning
as a substitute dominant that offers the "wrong" leading tone (to 5 instead
of to 1).

Nicole Biamonte
Assistant Professor of Music Theory
University of Iowa