[Smt-talk] Inception chord progression

TIMOTHY SULLIVAN trsullivan at sympatico.ca
Sat Aug 14 12:44:43 PDT 2010

There is one critical flaw in your transcription which no one in the thread has yet pointedout: the final chord is not a C flat major triad, but a Cb major seventh chord. The tonic-seventhdissonance is actually enhanced through orchestration in the horns. This means thatthe B flat remains the common-tone througout the "progression" (chord cycle). The stepwisevoice-leading which expands and contracts around this Bb is strongly referential to Glass'scommon-tone chord cycles. Historically, it recalls Mussorgsky, Sibelius and possibly Rimsky-Korsakov,just to name a few.Dr. Timothy SullivanComposer, Artist, Educator
Although we aren't in control of circumstances,We are in control of our reactions to them.

Timothy Sullivan
Composer, Artist, Educator416-557-2838