[Smt-talk] Inception chord progression

Stephen Taylor staylor7 at illinois.edu
Sun Aug 15 20:07:19 PDT 2010

Timothy Sullivan is right of course that the Bb forms a common tone
through all four chords. I left it out on purpose because I was
transcribing the uptempo version (#3 - Dream is collapsing), in which
the Bb is an ostinato in the violins above the low chords, which are
all triads, at least for awhile. In the slower version (#4 - Radical
Notion), I noted in my original post that the last chord is B maj7.

But since there's almost always a major 7th somewhere in the musical
texture for the last chord, I probably should have included it. (I was
transcribing from memory, I didn't know about the YouTube until I was
done.) And it makes Howard Cinnamon's voice-leading graphs work even
better.

All these comments are fascinating - I'm particularly taken by Scott
Murphy's idea of "recombinant progressions" to invoke the fantastic in
Hollywood film music.

Steve