[Smt-talk] Symmetry and Musical Aesthetics

Stephen Taylor staylor7 at illinois.edu
Fri Dec 10 06:51:45 PST 2010

The Oxford mathematician Marcus du Sautoy has a book called Symmetry
(2008) which includes a chapter on music, ranging from Rameau to
change-ringing to Xenakis. The discussion is not that deep, but still
enlightening. It's just one chapter out of a book which includes
discussions on a whole lot of things, including Galois, the Alhambra
and a 196,883-dimensional figure (!) called the Monster.

As a lay-person's introduction to symmetry I thought it was fantastic
- he also has an excellent book on prime numbers, "The Music of the
Primes," which covers everything from Pythagoras to internet
encryption, and includes quite a bit of music as well.

Best wishes,
Steve

Stephen Taylor
Associate Professor of Composition-Theory
School of Music
http://www.stephenandrewtaylor.net
staylor7 at illinois.edu