[Smt-talk] Symmetry and Musical Aesthetics

R Ivanovitch mousikus at hotmail.com
Sat Dec 11 22:50:53 PST 2010

Also of special note is Robert Morgan's, "Symmetrical Form and Common-Practice Tonality", in Music Theory Spectrum 20/1 (1998): 1-47.

Roman Ivanovitch
Associate Professor of Music Theory,
Indiana University Jacobs School of Music
Bloomington, IN 47405

On Dec 9, 2010, at 12:55, Laurel Parsons wrote:Dear colleagues,
An upper-level undergraduate student at our liberal arts and sciences university is embarking on a long-term interdisciplinary study of the relationship between symmetry and beauty.  She is an accomplished violinist, but is not a music major and has no post-tonal theory background as yet; however, she is both well-versed and interested in calculus, statistics, and other mathematical forms so could pick it up fairly easily. While there are hundreds of scholarly articles on various kinds of compositional symmetry in the music of Western composers to which I could refer her, I'm wondering if anyone can recommend:
1) a good historical overview of how symmetry has been used in Western music, and/or2) scholarly writing that addresses the aesthetics of musical symmetry rather than (")simply(") the compositional mechanics of its usage in the works of specific composers.
Best wishes,Laurel Parsons
--
Laurel Parsons, Ph.D.
Co-ordinator, Humanities Division