[Smt-talk] Symmetry and Musical Aesthetics

Phillip Dineen pdineen at uottawa.ca
Tue Dec 14 06:54:45 PST 2010

Laurel. Your student might enjoy reading the first chapter of Clive Bell's classic book on aesthetics called simply Art. The first chapter is called The Aesthetic Hypothesis, and the best known concept therein is that of "Significant Form." Bell's book is perhaps the last great aesthetic statement in which notions such as symmetry can be expressed without qualification (although to my knowledge he doesn't address symmetry per se). I use it in my aesthetics class as a last bulwark before structuralism.

If your student reads German, there is a wonderful book by Wilhelm Werker called Die Symmetrische Aufbau... can't recall the rest, about symmetry in Bach Fugues. Schoenberg was very impressed with it, and there is a reprint around. The pictures are fun to stare at.

Best,

Murray

Murray Dineen

University of Ottawa