[Smt-talk] Written record of Boulanger pedagogy?

Donna Doyle donnadoyle at att.net
Sun Dec 19 20:24:41 PST 2010

Dear SMT List:

As a former Boulanger student, and as one who's preparing to write my
dissertation on the French
Partimento tradition and NB's place in it, I communicated with Dmitri
shortly after his post. Here's
a reprint of my message to him, plus my thoughts about what's been
offered by others.

"I recall that Boulanger used the following:

	A few pages of unpublished v-l rules, a copy of which was in the
library, that we handcopied
	for our own use. Someone has recently digitized them online. You'll
find them if you do a search.

	Her modulating cadences, also online

	The Dubois harmony text

	The Vidal basses (currently published by Dinsic, edited and realized
by Narcis Bonet, with Forwards
	by Philip Lasser and myself)

	Her oral tradition

I myself am preparing to write my dissertation on her place in the
partimento tradition."

Re the Levin-Harrison-Talma text: I think I have a photo of them
sitting behind the Hotel D'Albe in
F'bleau working on it. Subsequently, I believe, the task fell to Louis
Martin (trained in France,
Hunter College faculty). He used it at Hunter (where I taught from it
briefly in the early 90s), refining it
until the mid 90s, when he and Jim tried to market it.  But around
that time the Gauldin text came out,
with marketing that dwarfed theirs. Louis abandoned hope, retired from
teaching and left the USA.
Afterwards, Hedi Siegel gave me some boxes of his materials, but his
theory text is not there.
I recall it was a carefully wrought amalgam of species ctpt, figured
bass, harmonic syntax, analysis
and keyboard harmony, requiring a three-year theory sequence. (He also
published an ET text,
which had a more successful run--now out of print.)

Re the Vidal: When I studied with Boulanger, playing the exercises at
the keyboard was not sufficient--
she expected us to write them (the more involved ones, anyway) in open
score (four clefs) in ink,
then play them for her. My understanding was that this required us to
hear/see each voice as a line
and to carefully work out our solutions. (We would sketch in pencil,
then ink our final version just
before our lesson.) She rarely gave answers directly, but would
discuss passages with us,
suggesting alternatives, refinements, etc. We would then make our
revisions with tabs taped carefully
over the original version--there are spots in my notebooks that have
layers of tabs suggesting different
possible patterns for a sequence. She also believed we'd have a record
of our thought process this way.
These exercises are not so much for continuo playing as for
improvising/composing, just as jazz players
learn hundreds of patterns for the filing cabinets of their minds. In
my opinion, this is a fabulous way to
develop one's ear, fingers, reflexes, sensibility, etc. True, Vidal
gives too many exercises and some
are boring. But one is free to choose. And to know when enough's enough!

Hope this sheds light on some things.

Best regards,
Donna Doyle

Aaron Copland School of Music