[Smt-talk] Opportunities for autistic musician?

matralab matralab at gmail.com
Thu Jan 7 20:25:57 PST 2010

Hello Karen

your call reminds me of the story of Hikari Oe (*1963), the eldest son of
nobel prize winning Japanese author Kenzaburo Oe.
He is an autistic composer and his father has written extensively about his
musical awakening and education.

While each instance of autism,of course, has its unique constellation of
circumstances, there still might be something to be found in Hikari's story
with music that can help your man's caregivers and educators some insight
into how to approach and nurture his talent.
I believe Hikari's career is tolerably well documented on the internet.

Starting points:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hikari_%C5%8Ce
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kenzaburo_%C5%8Ce

Best