[Smt-talk] Opportunities for autistic musician?

Dave Headlam dheadlam at esm.rochester.edu
Fri Jan 8 03:59:42 PST 2010

Dear Karen:  I have written an article called ³Learning to Hear
Autistically² in the recent collection ³Sounding Off:  Theorizing Disability
in Music² (which has many other excellent articles, including a couple on
autism and perfect pitch as well as other musical abilities), and I would
recommend the writings of Temple Grandin and Oliver Sacks, as well as the
many in the references / notes in the book, and the website of the music
theory interest group on disability:
http://web.gc.cuny.edu/disabilityinmusic.   There are many online groups and
information available.

  Autistic people have trouble with transitions, so the best thing is to
prepare for any change or anything new way in advance, by talking about it
in ³social story² settings, laying out everything that will happen and
especially telling the person what is expected of her/him.  A structured
environment is very helpful ‹ with routines that lend stability and
predictability to situations.   I think you will find that little is beyond
this young man, he just requires preparation beyond what we are used to, and
a little more time to respond.

Dave Headlam

--

 Dave Headlam