[Smt-talk] Passing and Neighboring 6/4s

Olli Väisälä ovaisala at siba.fi
Tue Jan 19 11:36:52 PST 2010

I wrote the following comments to Dmitri's post before receiving the
other responses. Some of these points have been stated by others, but
perhaps it will do no harm if I send this anyway. Sorry for redundancy.

**

First, I agree that some passing and neighboring 6/4 progressions are
more common or idiomatic than others. However, in my view, this gives
no reason not to classify the characteristic voice-leading patterns as
passing or neighboring. Pedagogically, it would seem odd not to pay
attention to such voice-leading patterns or not to label them in a way
generally familar from other occurrences of similar patterns.

6/4 chords are by no means unique in this respect. Consider the
neighboring progression I–V6/5–I (with 3^–4^–3^ treble). This
progression is hardly applicable to any other level (II–VI6/5–II etc.)
without tonicization, but in my view this is no argument against
calling it neighboring.

A significant reason for paying attention to these passing and
neighboring voice-leading motions is the dissonance of the 6/4 and 6/5
chords involved. Labels "passing" and "neighboring" clarify stepwise
dissonance treatment, relating with general basic principles of
conventional tonality.

Another reason is that these labels also highlight the subordinate
status of the passing or neighboring chord in harmonic syntax. For
example, in a phrase based on a I–IV6–"I6/4"–II6/5–V–I progression, the
conception of the "I6/4" as passing clarifies that it does not affect
the larger I–IV (or II)–V–I framework.

Hence I think we should teach BOTH specific idioms AND their
relationships with general principles. The problem Dmitri senses here
seems to stem from the conception that general principles should be as
such sufficient for explaining the idioms. However, I think that
organizational principles concerning a single musical dimension—such as
voice leading—are seldom sufficient for explaining the overall effect
of musical passages, but we have to consider the several interacting
dimensions. This multidimensionality is itself a principle of general
importance which should, I think, be made clear for students. The
idiomaticness of 6/4 chords depends crucially on their voice-leading
status, but this is not the sole determining factor. (For a very
different example, consider the analysis of dodecaphonic works: we
should not give students the illusion that the examination of row
structure amounts to a complete analysis, explaining all significant
features.)

Hence, like Panayotis Mavromatis, I would suggest removing "just" from
the following quote, thus also removing the tension.

>  And do you feel any tension between "this is just a neighboring
> chord" and "these other progressions, though contrapuntally quite
> similar to the acceptable case, are never used?"

Best wishes,
Olli Väisälä
Sibelius Academy
ovaisala at siba.fi