[Smt-talk] Passing and Neighboring 6/4s

Jeremy Day-O'Connell jdayocon at knox.edu
Tue Jan 19 11:32:03 PST 2010

I tend not to get too hung up on theoretical elegance but think in
terms of both "general principles" and "specific idioms" (a tension
that's by no means confined to the case of 6/4 chords).

I-IV-I is a common chord progression; neighboring motion is an
effective decoration; pairs of neighbor decorations in parallel thirds
or sixths is especially effective.  Each of those things points to a
particular device, namely I-IV6/4-I.  Other considerations point
against the possibility of ii-V6/4-ii (though I expect we could come
up with an example or two without too much trouble): the rarity of ii-
V-ii in general and the inherent difficulty of motion from ^7 to ^6,
for instance, are two such considerations.

So yes, I think of I-IV6/4-I as a "neighbor progression," but not as
"simply a neighbor progression."

More troubling, in my mind, is the inconsistency of the terms
"neighboring" and "passing": in some cases, the motion in question is
in the bass (as in "passing" vi-I6/4-ii6) whereas in others the motion
is in the upper voices, above a pedal (as in "passing" V-I6/4-V7).
Those strike me as funcamentally different categories.

JDOC
Jeremy Day-O'Connell
Assistant Professor, Music
Knox College