[Smt-talk] Seeking deceptively resolving applied dominants.

Brad Osborn webpine brad06 at u.washington.edu
Fri Jan 22 12:37:23 PST 2010

The I-III#-IV progression that you point out in the Elvis and Elton songs is
ubiquitous in rock music.  Whether or not that major III chord (with or
without a dominant seventh) is actually a V(7) of vi is another question
altogether.  I tend to think of this as an idiomatic coloration of the III
chord, rather than a secondary dominant, though I guess the presence of a
dominant 7th might make me lean more in the direction of the latter.

Radiohead's "Creep" is probably the consummate example: G, B, C, Cm.

Armor for Sleep's "The Truth About Heaven" includes the 7th: D, F#7, G, Gm.

In both cases, I like how the #5 gets reinterpreted as b6 on the way down.

Brad

Brad Osborn
Ph.D. Candidate, Music Theory
University of Washington School of Music
Brad06 at uw.edu

Subscriptions Manager
Perspectives of New Music
pnmsubs at gmail.com