[Smt-talk] Seeking deceptively resolving applied dominants.

Jason Solomon jsolo at uga.edu
Fri Jan 22 15:32:11 PST 2010

John,

A recent example from rock/pop music is "The General Specific" (2007) by Band
of Horses. The following progression occurs at the end of each verse:

I – V7/vi – IV – V7/V – V – IV – I

I like to use this example because it features two different secondary dominant
seventh chords, the first of which resolves deceptively. FYI, I seem to recall the
song containing a mild expletive.

The V7/vi – IV figure seems to be quite common in popular music. I hope others
can help us uncover examples of other types of deceptive resolutions, such as
V7/V – iii, V7/IV – ii, etc.

Best,
Jason
---
Jason W. Solomon, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of Music Theory and Classical Guitar
School of Music
Western Carolina University