[Smt-talk] Addendum on Bach

Joel Galand galandj at fiu.edu
Mon Jan 25 10:06:30 PST 2010

Dear David and Ildar:

Then there are those of us who would claim that the ENTIRE opening sentence (mm. 1-16, not counting the subsequent extensions through repetition) is a single phrase  on the grounds that there is no true cadence halfway through a sentence form--the lack of an interior cadence being one of the factors that distinguishes the sentence from the period.

It all depends on whether or not you hold that a cadence is a necessary condition for a unit to be considered a phrase.

Joel Galand
Associate Professor of Music Theory
Director of Graduate Studies
School of Music