[Smt-talk] Passing and Neighboring 6/4s

Yosef Goldenberg geyeni at netvision.net.il
Mon Jan 25 23:23:10 PST 2010

Dear list,
Apologies for extending the thread, but here is a new point [if I didn't
miss anything...]
The preferrence of passing V6/4 over V4/3 or VII6 in beginning harmony
course might indeed be a bias, but one directed precisely toward pedagogical
effectiveness, since I-V6/4-I6 does not involve exceptional doublings, nor a
seventh, and uses the most basic harmonic vocabulary.
For the general introction into harmony and voice leading, this is a
justified simplification. Compare the overuse of simple tenses for
introducting English grammer [or English as a foreign language].
The simplification might be acknowledged as such; Later on, it is desired
that more precise observations are made.
Yossi Goldenberg

Dr. Yosef Goldenberg
External teacher, Hebrew University of Jerusalem
Head Librarian, Jerusalem Academy of Music and Dance

Hertzog 81a Jerusalem 92621
Tel. (office) 972-2-6759917
Tel. (home) 972-2-6780421