[Smt-talk] "Core syntax" and 6/4 chords etc.

dec2101 at columbia.edu dec2101 at columbia.edu
Tue Jan 26 16:05:51 PST 2010

The passage cited by Timoth McKinney in Zarlino, _Le Istitutioni
harmoniche_, III.42, on p. 95 of the Marco/Palisca translation, is
pretty far from expressing the concept of "passing tone" as we now
understand, or even as it is understood in, say, Bernhard (c.1660s),
where the term denoting is _transitus_. Zarlino comes a bit closer to
this concept a little earlier in the same chapter (bottom of p. 93 of
the translation):

"At times, too, the composer may alternate consonant and dissonant
minims, taking care however that the consonant ones fall on the
downbeat and the dissonant ones on the upbeat of the measure, and that
they progress continually down or up in strict conjunct movement
through many steps."

Zarlino's prescriptions of weak(er) beat and stepwise motion are
stated many times in this chapter. It's the phrase "continually down
or up," here, that suggests passing tones, properly speaking, as
opposed to neighbors. Here's the original Italian of this passage:

"Potra anco alle volte il Contrapuntista porre scambievolmente due
minime, delle quali l'una sia consonante, & l'altra dissonante; pur
che la consonante caschi nel battere, & la dissonante nel levar la
battuta: ma debbeno procedere verso il grave, overo verso l'acuto per
molti gradi continouati senza alcun movimento separato."

The Marco/Palisca rendering is somewhat free, but certainly accurate
with respect to the qualification that the ascending or descending
motion is "continuous," which I take to mean uni-directional. Hence,
PT's, not N-notes.

On the other hand, this is hardly a sufficiently precise or explicit
definition of "passing tone," and in general I have the impression
that Zarlino, and 16th-century counterpoint pedagogues generally, do
not distinguish carefully (if at all) between PT and N-note. Zarlino
certainly has no terminological means to make that distinction.

Best,

-David E. Cohen
Columbia University