[Smt-talk] Ongoing discussion on origins of harmonic concepts

rjab rjabuhr at gmail.com
Sun Jul 11 12:57:39 PDT 2010

I have been tracking the recent ongoing discussion of the origins of
harmonic concepts with some interest and frustration.  Interest
because the discussion is interesting. Frustration because I do not
have the knowledge of the literature that would enable me to
participate in its terms.

I was triggered to write this email by someone's comment about a
relatively obscure (in my terms) relationship between minor seventh
flat five chords and dominant seventh chords.  The  relationship is
very simple and direct in the simple theory of keyboard harmony
presented on my website. Generally, obscure relationships among chords
become simple and direct in this theory because "chords" in the theory
are derived quantities based on simpler ones.   See "Picturing
Keyboard Harmony",  the introduction of which I have rewritten once
again to try and help readers get past the unconventional notation.

I  know there have been many visits by this community to this website
because large  spikes in the number of visits followed earlier
messages to SMT-announce and SMT-talk,  but the return in actual
comments to me has been small, although useful  (three people emailed
me and followed this up by participating in useful email discussions).
Perhaps members of the community have held back making comments
because they think the theory is so naive as to be embarrassing.
Perhaps they cannot get past the unconventional notation. It cannot be
lack of interest in the possibility of a simple theory because of the
large spikes in visits.  In any case, I would welcome more responses ,
either on SMT-talk or directly to me. I cannot be embarrassed by
negative comments because I have nothing to gain or lose either way.
My only objective is to share something interesting I have discovered
that does not seem to be widely known.

Email correspondents have suggested that the music theory community
might not be the best one for my purposes, but I am targeting it
because it is where the deep knowledge resides. I have found that
other communities (e.g., jazz pianists) are too focused on performance
to be interested in novel ways of thinking about things.

If anyone in a music department in the SF Bay area reads this and is
interested, I would welcome an opportunity to visit and discuss the
ideas.  I am away from SF until Sep but anytime after that would be
great.

I hope the moderator will not think this is overstepping the purpose
of the mailing list.

R.J.A. Buhr
1150 Lombard St., #21
San Fransisco CA 94109