[Smt-talk] Fwd: : First Species Question

Donna Doyle donnadoyle at att.net
Fri Jul 9 16:44:51 PDT 2010

Dear list:

Here are my last three messages re species ctpt sent yesterday (read
from the bottom up).
They didn't reach you because I neglected to include my contact
information in each
(believing that giving it in my first message was sufficient). I'm
sorry for the delay.

Donna Doyle

Aaron Copland School of Music
Queens College
65-30 Kissena Blvd.
Flushing, NY  11367

tele: 718-997-3819
fax:  718-997-3849
email: donna.doyle at qc.cuny.edu
email: donnadoyle at att.net

____________________

______________________

> On Jul 7, 2010, at 3:47 PM, Donna Doyle wrote:
>
>> Perhaps we should remember that Dmitri's original query concerned
>> two-voice (species) counterpoint
>> (viz, our subject heading). And then I introduced, only
>> tangentially, SATB.
>>
>> Bach may have assumed organ doubling at the bass octave;
>> additionally, he superseded the rules
>> often to illustrate his texts. Re five- and eight-voice writing:
>> given a three or four-note vertical structure
>> ("chord") vocabulary, liberties can (must) be taken with some of
>> parts.
>>
>> Prof Hermann: Please clarify your statement, "in a six-five chord a
>> perfect fifth usually represents
>> the dissonant chordal seventh"? To which quality of six-five chord
>> do you refer? It's true that
>> a V9 contains a P5 between the 5th and the 9th (and a V13 contains
>> another between the 9 and the 13),
>> indeed, this was a basis for the polytriadic language of some 20th
>> c composers (Hindemith, Schuman).
>> It is also the basis for the jazz composer-arranger Don Sebesky's
>> term "upper-extended triads."
>>
>> Donna Doyle

_____________________

In addition to Schenker's analysis of "Aus meinen Tranen" (Free
Composition, Fig 21), a discussion of the illusion mentioned
below can be found in Cadwallader-Gagne's insightful analysis of
Schubert's "Gute Nacht" (Analysis of Tonal Music, p. 134 ff).

Re my statement  that a fifth's a fifth no matter what: surely we
understand sound in both absolute and relative terms, i. e.,
we hear a fifth as an objective measurement and then we place it in
different contexts (e. g., inner voices) and/ or interpret it
psychologically (the protagonist's voice) to give it different
significance. This discussion began with talk about species voice-
leading rules and, as you pointed out, Jonathan, perhaps dealing with
our illusions is another thread; certainly separating/
coordinating these issues is a challenging and fascinating enterprise.

Donna Doyle