[Smt-talk] Math-music structure of Plato's Dialogues

Eliot Handelman eliot at colba.net
Mon Jul 5 19:59:23 PDT 2010

matralab wrote:

> And if it does - e.g. in the works of Xenakis, to choose another Greek
> classic:
> has anyone ever backtracked the mathematical processes from the score
> alone
> _without knowing about them beforehand _(which is how math-analysis
> proceeds on
> all the other composers and in our Plato example) ?
Would Koblyakov's analysis of "le marteau" qualify? or is this not what
you mean by "mathematical," or
was there too much "background knowledge"? Most of this kind of
analysis, which is about recovering a composition algorithm,
does tend to rely on supplied information. I once tried figuring out
"Mikka," a solo violin piece by Xenakis.
I had found all kinds of stuff. But then X told me that the piece was a
random walk, so who was right?

- eliot

-----
Eliot Handelman PhD
Center for Music-computational thought, Montreal