[Smt-talk] A real theory reference text?

Larry Barnes lbarnes at transy.edu
Thu Jul 1 18:41:45 PDT 2010

Can anyone point me to a good, reasonably-priced hard-copy theory outline
for the first year?

We are changing our music theory curriculum to focus more on complete works,
which means that in addition to an anthology we need a quick reference book
for theory terms and concepts that would take us through the first year. The
old Harper-Collins Theory Review is the scope of what we're after, but it
offers what I consider outdated chord-analysis symbols that are more complex
and less functional than what we need, serving only to confuse and distract
the undergrad student.

We need it to be succinct, include rhythmic, pitch and formal concepts, and
be something students can carry with them. We are particularly not
interested in first-year part-writing-based material. We would also like it
to be fairly affordable.

Yes, a complex request! Thanks in advance for any help---

Dr. Larry Barnes, Professor of music

Transylvania University

Lexington, KY 40503

(859)233-8179