[Smt-talk] First Species Question

Dmitri Tymoczko dmitri at princeton.edu
Tue Jul 6 06:44:44 PDT 2010

Hi everyone,

Recently I found myself looking through various first-species
counterpoint rules and I noticed that neither Fux nor Jeppeson nor
Gauldin prohibits consecutive (contrary motion) fifths in first-
species counterpoint:

	e.g. (C4, G4)->(F3, C5) or (C4, G4)->(C5, F4)

This led me to two questions:

	1) Does anyone know of a set of first-species rules that *does*
prohibit consecutive fifths of this sort?  In particular, what's the
earliest treatment of the issue?
	2) Can anyone think of any examples, preferably in two voices and
from some Josquin-to-Lassus Renaissance master, of this sort of thing?

I can think of examples of consecutive fifths in three separate
voices, as in (C3, G3, x) -> (D3, x, A3), but that's not as dramatic.

Thanks!
DT

Dmitri Tymoczko
Associate Professor of Music
310 Woolworth Center
Princeton, NJ 08544-1007
(609) 258-4255 (ph), (609) 258-6793 (fax)
http://music.princeton.edu/~dmitri