[Smt-talk] Fwd: First Species Question

Dunsby, Jonathan jdunsby at esm.rochester.edu
Wed Jul 7 07:15:46 PDT 2010

...fifths are (and sound like) fifths, no matter what registers...

	Best regards,
	Donna Doyle

	Aaron Copland School of Music
	Queens College
	65-30 Kissena Blvd.
	Flushing, NY  11367

	Well you say that, but almost as another thread I'm wondering just how and where, from a theory-building point of view, the illusion of 'part' integrity kicks in or doesn't? When e.g. a voice actually dips under the piano bass line in a 19C Lied, how come we don't hear it as the 'bass' (shades of Dichterliebe No. 2, of course, beloved of us theorists, but such happens all over Western art music, here and there)? My teacher always said "because that's what Messiaen taught us". But is there a history-of-theory etiology to this issue or perhaps non-issue? (Obviously, fifths with the 'bass' and fifths entailing only inner parts are not, in general, the same thing....)

	Jonathan

	Jonathan Dunsby
	Chair, Music Theory Department
	Professor of Music Theory