[Smt-talk] Fwd: First Species Question

David Feurzeig mozojo at gmail.com
Wed Jul 7 11:41:51 PDT 2010

> It would be interesting to know where this prohibition came from.

Having no expertise in the history of theory, but having taught
undergrad harmony for 15 years, I think I can field this one. I assume
that the prohibition comes from workaday theory teachers who were sick
of students correcting parallel fifths with this cheap fix which,
while it may be present in the repertoire, is pretty rare because of
the resulting prevalent skippiness of the parts, presumably.

David Feurzeig
University of Vermont