[Smt-talk] Fwd: First Species Question

Peter Schubert, Prof. peter.schubert at mcgill.ca
Wed Jul 7 08:41:18 PDT 2010

I think part integrity is indeed the point. I have found that anti-parallels are not uncommon in Renaissance music and there are some in Bach chorales.  This could be because contrary motion trumps vertical interval sameness, or because a twelfth really isn't a fifth. Vicentino, discussing simultaneous skips, allows anti-parallel fifths in five parts and anti-parallel octaves in eight parts (l'antica musica 1555, bk 2, ch 30, f.41v.).

For a couple of examples from Palestrina, see Missa "Vestiva I colli", Kyrie, mm. 78 & 89 (Soderlund + Scott 1971, p. 172), or Missa "Sanctorum meritis," Agnus, m. 26 (Soderlund + Scott, p. 158); for Bach, see "Jesu, der du meine Seele" (Mainous + Ottman 1966, #37, m. 1) or "Allein zu dir, Herr Jesu Christ" (Mainous + Ottman #13, m. 8).

It would be interesting to know where this prohibition came from.

Peter Schubert,
Schulich School of Music
McGill University
555 Sherbooke St. W.