[Smt-talk] Course (anti)Hero

kos at panix.com kos at panix.com
Wed Jul 7 20:30:26 PDT 2010

On Wed, 7 Jul 2010, Michael Buchler <mbuchler at fsu.edu> warned:

> I was naturally curious and found that Course Hero was selling access to
> about a dozen documents written by one of my colleagues.

I was curious too, so I quickly registered at Course Hero:
http://www.coursehero.com

Once I found the music section I had a look, and burst out laughing.  So many
colleges and universities are represented - and it seems like every student
for the past 5 years has uploaded every single homework assignment they ever
had.  There's an amazingly enormous amount of information (i.e. papers
and notes) here!

I don't feel so bad about my own teaching - not only because my school was not
represented, but because in addition to musical notations, I insist that every
student turn in a weekly summary of what went on in the class, not just the
issues raised (different each year), but the specific ways in which we dealt
with them (also different each year).  Because every class is different, I feel
pretty confident that the uniqueness of the discussion pretty much precludes
the possibility of getting students' work from previous years (although I do
try to alter the content each time I teach it).

It does suggest that College 2.0 has to be different from what we've being
previously/currently doing.  Any kind of course where a student could presumably
pass by obtaining previous years' homework is no longer going to work.  The
teacher must really think up assignments where the work is unique and the
student won't benefit by copying previously written work.  Nowadays students
are much more collaborative - so why not create groups that are graded
collectively (say a group of 4-5, and everyone has to accept the grade).

Just a few ideas of the top of my head.  I know there are many sites like Course
Hero.  It seems like there should be more organization among academics to come
up with ways to counter the networking of homework assignments.

blog:  http://www.nypl.org/blog_user/44   Twitter: @kos2
   Listowner: OPERA-L ; SMT-TALK ; SMT-ANNOUNCE ; SoundForge-users