[Smt-talk] Fwd: First Species Question

Dmitri Tymoczko dmitri at Princeton.EDU
Sun Jul 11 19:24:20 PDT 2010

I did a little computer search, and found a nice Renaissance instance
of consecutive fifths in two voices: Josquin's "Gaude Virgo, Mater
Christi" at "Fulget resurrectio," where the soprano and alto sing (C4,
G4)->(C5, F4).

You can find an online version here (m. 51):

http://www1.cpdl.org/wiki/images/sheet/jos-gaud.pdf

It occurs to me that there are two distinct phenomena here:
"antiparallel fifths" such as (C4, G4)->(F3, C5), and "crossed fifths"
such as (C4, G4)->(C5, F4).  In the latter case, we create genuine
parallels by removing a voice crossing; in the first case, we create
the parallels by shifting octave.

DT

Dmitri Tymoczko
Associate Professor of Music
310 Woolworth Center
Princeton, NJ 08544-1007
(609) 258-4255 (ph), (609) 258-6793 (fax)
http://music.princeton.edu/~dmitri