[Smt-talk] Fwd: First Species Question

Donna Doyle donnadoyle at att.net
Mon Jul 12 04:42:07 PDT 2010

Thank you, Dmitri, for this gorgeous Josquin. What a master.

Before seeing the Josquin, I was going to say: "Since Anonymous,
performers/ composers have given
themselves license to set the meanings of texts, e. g., florid
melismas on "Allelujia" in 11th c organum.

Josquin, however, sets this text without breaking rules. Re m. 51:
Observe that the F is dissonant--an accented
passing tone, established in mm 48, -9 and -50.  What's going on here
is voice crossing to set the text
that produces parallel 3rds and 6ths. Acoustically, m. 51's C above F
is a fifth, but the ear will interpret
it as a dissonance resolving to the E below the C. Context!

Donna Doyle

Aaron Copland School of Music
Queens College
65-30 Kissena Blvd.